Wow, hard to believe it’s been almost 2 weeks since I arrived in Korea. I’m sure I’ll repeat this sentiment at the end of my year here. Time flies when you’re running around teaching little kids and also teaching yourself what it means to navigate geographically and culturally in a new country.

Anyways, back to where it all began- The Flight. For those of you who have never been an airplane passenger before (here’s looking at you, Tim) I highly suggest starting out with a short 2-4 hour flight first. This was a test in endurance, both physical and mental. But I must say, those darn cute flight attendants made it oh-so-much easier:

The male flight attendants were just as classy and adorable

I boarded the flight to Seoul, Incheon from Los Angeles with another girl I’d met on the plane from Dallas. She had been seated next to me and as we chatted it turns out she graduated from Plano Senior High School 4 years after I had. What a very odd coincidence.

The plane was one of those big ones with the middle row, and I felt like I was in the movies or something. Seriously, how lame is that? If most flights you’ve taken are via Southwest or other smaller regional airlines, gigantic planes seem really really really cool. Really.

As fate would have it I didn’t sit next to my fellow Wildcat on the plane to Korea. No, my friends, I sat next to a man who instantly started telling me his life story. This guy apparently was Native American (showed me his CDIB card), had lost his first wife to breast cancer, and was on his way to China to go get married to a Chinese girl. I tried to be polite and listen, but I was focused on the pre-flight instructions and trying to hear what was going on. I sat facing forward and not looking at him, so eventually he got the hint and pretty much left me alone.

Soon we started flying! What’s nice is that Asiana Airlines (and I bet most others) shows you a map of the flight progress on the screen. They repeated everything in English after the Korean so us foreigners could understand. Nice!

My plan was to sleep most of the way. Ugh, it was harder than I thought. I spent most of my energy shifting my position and figuring out how not to use the restroom, because it meant I’d have to ask the Talker to get out of my way. I did NOT want him to start talking to me again.

Sleeping would also mean I’d miss the food. They fed us twice (dinner and breakfast), which was pretty cool. Ended up eating breakfast at like 3 AM my time. I don’t remember eating a meal on a plane in my life, EVER. I was excited enough about it to take this picture.

Steak for dinner

I remember the breakfast option being something like “blah blah blah octupus, or an omelette.” I didn’t trust my stomach to airplane octopus. The egg was fine with me.

When we got closer to Seoul (a mere 12 hours later), they started playing a nice little instructional video about how to massage your pressure points to ease any long-flight woes like a sore neck, tired legs, or stomachache. I think this really demonstrates a fact about Korea that I’ve seen proven many times since I’ve been here- they are traditional and very efficient.

Yay! Airplane story, delivered as promised. In conclusion, this was a great experience and I’m glad to report about it. But next time I just may drug myself to sleep like the guy sitting in front of me did.